Translate this Page
Dan Smith Blog
Wade Coye Blog
Washington Post Recent Headlines
The Coye Law Firm's personal injury lawyer team will fight to recover the burn injury settlements you may be entitled to.
Types of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries can range in severity from very minor to catastrophic to fatal. Burn injuries are separated into the following three degrees:
- First degree burns – causes reddening of the skin, but no blistering
- Second degree burns – causes blisters and can be superficial or deep
- Third degree burns – penetrates the entire thickness of the skin and permanently destroys tissue. Causes white or blackened, charred skin that may be numb
Burn Injuries can result in blistering, swelling, pain, peeling skin, scarring, infection, shock, or even death. Medical treatment for burn injuries vary depending on the severity of the burn, and can be as serious as requiring surgery or skin grafts for very serious burns.
Burn injuries occur in a variety of situations. Some of the most common causes of burn injuries include the following:
- Scalding burns from hot liquids or steam
- Building fires
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Electrical accidents
- Workplace Accidents
- Industrial accidents
- Defective products
- Chemical burns
- Gas explosions
- Lawn mower accidents
Burn injuries commonly occur due to the negligence or intentional act of another. If you have suffered a burn injury that is the result of another’s negligence or intentional actions, you may have a claim against that person. Some common claims that result from burn injuries include the following:
- Personal injury claims
- Premises liability claims (if it occurred on the property of another or at a place of business)
- Workers’ compensation (if it occurred on the job)
- Social Security disability (if it is disabling)
- Wrongful death (if it resulted in the death of a loved one)
- Spouse’s Loss of Consortium Claim (depending on the circumstances)
- In certain circumstances, if a spouse is seriously injured, the other spouse may be able to bring a Loss of Consortium claim for loss of normal marital relations.
- Parent’s Filial Consortium Claim
- In certain circumstances, if a child is seriously injured, the parent may be able to bring a Filial Consortium Claim for loss of the child’s companionship, love, affection, and society in the past and the future.
Help for Burn Injury Victims
If you have suffered a burn injury, it is vital that you seek medical attention for your injuries immediately. It is important that you receive medical attention and care for your injuries while your case is pending.
It is also important that you document the circumstances of the accident. If possible, you should take pictures of your injuries and the surrounding area. You should also take pictures of what caused the burn injury. It is also important to get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of any person that witnessed the accident.
At the Coye Law Firm, our experienced burn injury attorneys will assess your situation and determine if you have a claim and who you have a claim against. The Coye Law Firm has offices in Orlando, Clermont, Kissimmee and Melbourne, and can handle burn injury cases from around the state of Florida. Call us today.