Your Personal Injury Concerns Put to Rest- Don't make a mistake, get the facts from an expert

Even a minor accident can cause physical and financial confusion, worries, and setbacks. Allow us to help answer your questions and put your concerns to bed, so you can focus on your recovery. Why wait any longer to get the answers you need? Click here and see how our knowledge, advice, and experience can help you.

  • Page 4
  • Can I claim other benefits, such as workers' compensation, along with Social Security Disability?

    You can file for disability benefits under workers compensation and Social Security, but both agencies need to be notified. The SSA states that benefits "may be reduced if you are also eligible for...disability benefits from certain federal, state, or local government programs" as well. The insurance attorneys at the Coye Law Firm can consult you on the sources of disability benefits you may want to claim. Additionally, our law firm can ensure that the steps are carried out to satisfy agency requirements and aid in communication. 


  • Can I still work and get Social Security Disability benefits?

     In short, yes. If you have a mental or physical limitation that prevents you from earning a federal minimum, then you may be eligible for benefits. This means that those who are still working but have limits put on the type or length of work they do may receive benefits if they earn less than $980 a month. This number changes, but a lawyer at the Coye Law Firm can help you determine if you are eligible for these benefits. 


  • I'm in the process of divorcing my husband/wife. I haven't been able to find a job, and we relied on his/her Social Security Disability payments when we were together. Can I claim any benefits even if we're not together anymore?

    The Administration has set up rules regarding who can claim benefits. Generally, if a person gets married, their benefits may stop. If their marriage ends, they might start receiving benefits again. According to their website , if you get divorced from someone claiming Social Security Disability benefits, you must be 62 years of age or older and married for at least 10 years to claim their benefits. contact our Social Security disability law firm to find out more. 

  • If my health improves enough for me to go back to work, do I lose my disability payments?

    The Social Security Administration has a work incentive program to assist people who can return to employment. The Administration recognizes that this may be easier said than done, however. They set up a trial work period of nine months that allows beneficiaries to test their ability to work while still receiving Social Security benefits. More information on their policies can be found here .


  • How long can I collect benefits?

    The Social Security Administration will continue to pay benefits "as long as your medical condition has not improved and you cannot work." The agency will periodically review a beneficiary's disabled status to ensure that the system is not being taken advantage of. If your benefits end and you are still reasonably disabled, contact a Social Security disability lawyer at the Coye Law Firm.


  • How will I receive my benefits if my application is accepted?

    Beneficiaries can receive their payments in the form of a check or through direct deposit. The checks are sent through the mail and payments are made monthly. 

  • How do I contact Social Security?

    Call 1-800-772-1213 to speak with a representative regarding applications or setting up an appointment.

  • Where do I apply?

    Apply for disability benefits online at the Social Security Administration's website, or explore our Qualifying & Applying for Social Security Benefits page. Applying for Supplemental Security Income is more in-depth and requires a personal meeting with a representative at a local social security office. Enter your zip code on their website to find an office near you . 

  • Wouldn't a disability at age 60 be different from one at 25? What are the age requirements for Social Security Disability?

    An adult from ages 19 to 49 is considered "younger" and is deemed to have the ability to adapt to work other than the work the person has done in the past. For a "younger" person, unless certain special things are present, they must prove that they cannot do even the simplest job that exists in "significant numbers" anywhere in the United States. 

    For a person from ages 50 to 54 (considered a person "closely approaching advanced age,"), they must prove that the medical condition limits them to no better than sedentary work (basically a sit down job), that he or she cannot do any work done in the previous 15 years, and that this work did not give him or her any skills which apply to sedentary work. 

    For a person over 55 ("advanced age" or "closely approaching retirement age") the person must show that he or she is limited by the medical condition to no better than light work, that he or she cannot return to any job done in the last 15 years and that he or she has no work skills which could be applied to any other light or sedentary job which is similar in terms of industry, tools, and work processes to that which the person has done before.


  • I've been disabled and out of work for 2 months. Can I claim SSD benefits?

    The law states that a person must be considered disabled for five months before receiving benefits. However, your case may have other areas of liability, including workers' compensation and personal injury. contact the Coye Law Firm to find out if you may collect benefits another way.