The Social Security Disability benefits program is designed to help people compensate for wages they lose because of a disability. The attorneys of the Coye Law Firm want you to know about the program so you can estimate your chances of being approved and getting benefits. This page lists selected statistics about this important program from the Social Security Administration.
Because the Social Security Administration hasn't released data for 2010, the following statistics are from December 2009.
- Total number of people receiving disability benefits: 8,945,376 (average monthly benefit is $1014.30)
- Number of disabled workers receiving benefits: 7,788,013 (average monthly benefit is $1064.30)
- Number of widows or widowers of disabled workers receiving benefits: 236,480 (average monthly benefit is $682.70)
- Number of adult children receiving disability benefits: 920,883 (average monthly benefit is $676.30)
- Total number of people receiving disability benefits in Florida: 513,741
- Number of benefits terminated in Florida: 44,417
- Total number of people receiving benefits with a representative payee: 1,601,258
- Total number of terminated benefits: 695,216
- Total number of people receiving both SSI and SSD: 1,313,145
The Social Security Disability program is one of the largest programs that the Social Security Administration oversees. Although the data on this page is from December 2009, it can help you get an idea of how many people get benefits and for what amount. The Coye Law Firm wants to help clients throughout their disability claims. We find that the more you know about the system, the better you can anticipate changes or decisions. Call our offices if your disability claim is denied. Our aggressive disability attorneys can represent your rights and interests when communicating with the Social Security Administration.