How Can We Help Those Impacted by Hurricane Irma?
Hurricane Irma devastated Florida over the weekend, leaving destroyed buildings, flooded roads, and power outages in her wake.
My family and I were blessed to have avoided the damage, but not everyone was so fortunate. As a community, we need to join together to assist those affected by this monster storm.
Listed below are a few great ways to aid in the relief effort. Keep in mind, no matter how small the effort, every little bit helps!
Can I Get a Volunteer?
Numerous organizations are working hard to repair homes, deliver food and water, and provide the necessities to hurricane victims. Visit these sites to volunteer:
- Habitat for Humanity’s Hurricane Recovery Volunteer Registry
- Airbnb needs property owners willing to provide free accommodations to those who lost their homes
- Volunteer in a shelter with Volunteer Florida
- Give blood at any American Red Cross blood bank or with LifeSouth
DONATE! DONATE! DONATE!
If you don't have time to volunteer or you don't live near a volunteer opportunity, there are plenty of other ways to help.
Here's a checklist of places accepting donations:
- American Red Cross
- Salvation Army
- UNICEF and Convoy of Hope ship emergency supplies to damaged areas
- ASPCA rescues pets abandoned during the storm
- Feeding Florida works to feed those in need and OXFAM is dedicated to restoring clean drinking water
- Multiple GoFundMe pages were consolidated into one cohesive Hurricane Irma relief fund
Hurricane Irma may have broken our coasts, but she can not break our spirits!
Our fellow humans need our help. Together we can combat the tragedy left by this disaster.
I hope you find these tips helpful!
Stay safe everyone,