Your Personal Injury, Workers' Comp, Disability and Family Law Concerns Put to Rest

Even a minor accident can cause physical and financial confusion, worries, and setbacks. Allow us to help answer your questions and put your concerns to bed, so you can focus on your recovery. Why wait any longer to get the answers you need? Click here and see how our knowledge, advice, and experience can help you.

  • Page 10
  • How soon after I return from service do I need to contact my employer about reemployment?

    The amount of time between completion of military service and return to civilian employment depends on the length of service. If you served for less than 31 days, you must return to work during the next regularly scheduled work period on the first full day after release from service. The employer must take into account the safe travel home and an eight-hour rest period for the employee prior to return. 

    For service longer than 30 days but less than 181 days, the service member has up to 14 days from release from military service to apply for reemployment. If the service member served longer than 180 days, he or she has up to 90 days from release from service to apply for reemployment. 


  • Can I get both SSI and DIB?

    In certain circumstances, yes. The maximum income that an individual can receive while getting SSI in 2010 is $674 in a month. If you win $500 in the lottery one month, you are required to report it and your benefits will go down by $500 for one month to make up for the income. If you are unable to work due to a disability and financially qualify for both programs, you can receive both types of benefit. Because SSI caps at $674, your disability benefits would need to be less than that to receive both at the same time. For example, if you get $400 in DIB, you can make up the remaining $274 through enrollment in SSI. 

  • Which one can I get benefits from?

    Depending on your financial status, you can receive either Disability Insurance Benefits or Supplemental Security Income. To determine which program you are eligible for, use the Benefit Eligibility Screening Tool available through the Social Security Administration 's website.

  • How much does DIB pay?

    Disability Insurance Benefits depend on your work history and contribution to Social Security. There are online calculators that allow you to calculate how much you may receive. 


  • How much does SSI pay?

    According to the Social Security Administration, individuals are eligible to receive $698 per month, or a couple can get $1,048 per month. Depending on your income, who you live with, or where you live, this number will change. 

  • What is "DIB"?

    DIB stands for Disability Insurance Benefits and is similar to the benefits from Supplemental Security Income. However, this program is designed for people who need fewer benefits because of their income. Temporarily injured workers who file for DIB are only asked to report their own earnings to determine eligibility. Other sources of income, such as a spouse's work earnings, are not used to determine eligibility. 

  • What does "SSI" stand for? What does it do?

    SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income. It is designed to pay benefits for disabled adults and children with very low income or resources. This program considers all of your household income when determining your eligibility to receive benefits. The benefits are meant to cover basic needs such as food, shelter, and clothing. 


  • Why would I need a lawyer to help me?

    The Social Security Administration has a system designed to benefit many people, and with that responsibility may come errors in or denials of benefits. The SSA has a guide to what an attorney can do for you, available here . The Coye Law Firm is experienced in disability claims and remedies, as well as financial matters. Our approach to your claim will be comprehensive and tailored to your needs. Our Social Security disability attorneys and personal injury legal staff can help.

  • Can I claim other benefits, such as workers' compensation, along with Social Security Disability?

    You can file for disability benefits under workers compensation and Social Security, but both agencies need to be notified. The SSA states that benefits "may be reduced if you are also eligible for...disability benefits from certain federal, state, or local government programs" as well. The insurance attorneys at the Coye Law Firm can consult you on the sources of disability benefits you may want to claim. Additionally, our law firm can ensure that the steps are carried out to satisfy agency requirements and aid in communication. 


  • Can I still work and get Social Security Disability benefits?

     In short, yes. If you have a mental or physical limitation that prevents you from earning a federal minimum, then you may be eligible for benefits. This means that those who are still working but have limits put on the type or length of work they do may receive benefits if they earn less than $980 a month. This number changes, but a lawyer at the Coye Law Firm can help you determine if you are eligible for these benefits.