Your Personal Injury, Workers' Comp, Disability and Family Law Concerns Put to Rest

Even a minor accident can cause physical and financial confusion, worries, and setbacks. Allow us to help answer your questions and put your concerns to bed, so you can focus on your recovery. Why wait any longer to get the answers you need? Click here and see how our knowledge, advice, and experience can help you.

  • Page 5
  • How soon should I seek treatment?

    Seek treatment for personal injuries immediately. Your insurance company or the person you are seeking a claim against may be responsible for paying medical bills, so keep all paperwork you receive regarding the accident. The law dictates a certain timeline for notifying your insurance company of medical treatment. You are entitled for compensation of medical bills if you notify your insurance company within 30 days of the treatment. If you notify them within 21 days, you may have up to 60 days to seek all necessary treatments and file appropriate paperwork.


  • What should I do if the other driver's insurance adjuster is trying to communicate with me?

    The other insurance company may seek a written or recorded statement from you regarding the accident. You are not obligated to do this. It is important to know that anything you submit to them can be used in your claim, possibly to hurt your case. 


  • The at-fault driver approached me to sign a release. What should I do?

    If you have received money from your own insurance company for damages, you should consult the company before signing anything that may waive rights. Once the insurance company pays you money, they now have a claim against the other driver as well. If you sign a release, you could be responsible for paying back the money you received from the insurance company. contact the accident lawyers of the Coye Law Firm to learn how signing a release or waiver may affect your eventual injury settlement. 


  • My car was hit and the driver fled. No one was injured. What charges can the at-fault driver face?

    Leaving the scene of an accident where property damage occurred is a misdemeanor in Florida. If the accident resulted in an injury, it is a second-degree felony to flee the scene. The at-fault driver could face up to 15 years in prison if this occurred. 


  • I broke my leg, am out of work, and won't be back to work for about 2 months. Can I file a claim?

    It depends. If your disability insurance policy states you can claim benefits in this situation, then go ahead and apply. However, a lot of policies require the disability to be long-term, or generally lasting over 6 months. 


  • Can I appeal a denied insurance claim?

    When you disagree with an insurance company's decision on your claim, you can try to negotiate with them. An insurance dispute attorney can help this process be much faster and more effective. There are loopholes and a lot of paperwork and jargon that insurance adjustors use. An attorney knows how to avoid this hassle and get you benefits as soon as possible. 


  • Are employers required to provide disability insurance?

    No. Employers are not required to provide disability insurance plans for their employees. However, once a plan is established, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) regulates the plans to protect employees from losing the money they've invested. 


  • Can I get Social Security Disability and benefits from my insurance company at the same time?

    Yes, at least under the Social Security Administration's rules. The SSA allows people receiving disability benefits to also receive benefits from private disability insurance policies. Your disability policy might have a clause that doesn't allow you to collect benefits under both programs, so make sure that you read your policy. 


  • How long does it take to get benefits from a disability insurance carrier?

    Each policy has a waiting period for those insured to claim benefits. For example, you may have to wait 90 days from the day you start paying premiums to receive benefits if you become disabled. Read your specific policy to know how long your waiting period is. 


  • What do I need in order to file a claim?

    You'll need proof of your disability in order to file a successful disability claim. This means that doctor's records, treatment verification, prescriptions, and other medical documentation should be submitted along with your claim form. If your carrier requests or requires more information or paperwork, submit that as soon as you can to begin receiving benefits.