Your Personal Injury, Workers' Comp, Disability and Family Law Concerns Put to Rest

Even a minor accident can cause physical and financial confusion, worries, and setbacks. Allow us to help answer your questions and put your concerns to bed, so you can focus on your recovery. Why wait any longer to get the answers you need? Click here and see how our knowledge, advice, and experience can help you.

  • Page 2
  • Who will pay my medical bills?

    In Florida, drivers are required to have Personal Injury Protection under the no-fault system. This means that insured drivers have their own insurance companies pay the first 80% of $10,000 in medical bills. Beyond that, you may need your own health insurance or the other driver's insurance company to pay. Speaking with a personal injury lawyer at the Coye Law Firm can help you determine the source beyond $10,000.


  • How soon should I seek treatment?

    Seek treatment for personal injuries immediately. Your insurance company or the person you are seeking a claim against may be responsible for paying medical bills, so keep all paperwork you receive regarding the accident. The law dictates a certain timeline for notifying your insurance company of medical treatment. You are entitled for compensation of medical bills if you notify your insurance company within 30 days of the treatment. If you notify them within 21 days, you may have up to 60 days to seek all necessary treatments and file appropriate paperwork.


  • What should I do if the other driver's insurance adjuster is trying to communicate with me?

    The other insurance company may seek a written or recorded statement from you regarding the accident. You are not obligated to do this. It is important to know that anything you submit to them can be used in your claim, possibly to hurt your case. 


  • The at-fault driver approached me to sign a release. What should I do?

    If you have received money from your own insurance company for damages, you should consult the company before signing anything that may waive rights. Once the insurance company pays you money, they now have a claim against the other driver as well. If you sign a release, you could be responsible for paying back the money you received from the insurance company. contact the accident lawyers of the Coye Law Firm to learn how signing a release or waiver may affect your eventual injury settlement. 


  • My car was hit and the driver fled. No one was injured. What charges can the at-fault driver face?

    Leaving the scene of an accident where property damage occurred is a misdemeanor in Florida. If the accident resulted in an injury, it is a second-degree felony to flee the scene. The at-fault driver could face up to 15 years in prison if this occurred. 


  • What do I do if I, or my child, are injured on an attraction at any amusement park?

    Report the injury to the operator of the ride immediately. Have that person call for both medical assistance and their manager at the same time. Complete any “incident report” the park management requires so that they have it properly documented. Do not sign any agreements or discuss insurance or compensation with any representative of the park until you’ve spoken with an attorney.

  • What do I do if I am injured at a beach or on other public property?

    The Florida Coastal Management Program is responsible for maintaining signage at public beaches and other waterways. In case of an emergency seek medical attention immediately, document the incident as best you can with photographs and written statements, and contact both an FCWP representative and an attorney as soon as possible.

    The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is responsible for the maintenance of off-highway public property roads, as well as distribution of hunting and fishing licenses and the necessary safety which accompanies these kinds of activities. If you are injured on public property in a fishing, hunting, boating, or “off-roading” accident, seek medical attention immediately and document the incident as thoroughly as possible with photographs and written statements. You should report the incident to the appropriate regional office and contact an attorney immediately about your rights.


  • What do I do if I am in this situation?

    First and foremost, always consider your health and well-being. Seek medical attention without delay. If there were no witnesses to the incident, tell the property owner what occurred as soon as possible. If someone else witnessed your injury, ask them to report what they know to the owner while you are having the injury taken care of.
    In general, it may be helpful to gather copies of all the documentation possible. Here are a few things to think about in this process:

    • Take photos (or have the medical facility photograph) your injuries. Try to get the injury from as many angles and with as much light as possible. There can never be “too many” photos if the case goes to litigation.
    • Take photos of the site where the injury occurred, from as many angles and as clear as possible. Try to get maximum information into the photos – every foot of area you capture could help your attorney in court.
    • Write up an “incident report” in your own words of what happened. It doesn’t need to be in formal language, but jot down as many details as you can. This could be vital to reconstructing the event later.

    Remember: If the claim goes to litigation, your lawyer will value photographic evidence and any documentation from witnesses which assist in event re-creation. Make sure the attorney is provided the company name for the medical care providers, and the name any witnesses, management, or personnel involved on the date of the incident. These details are especially important if the injury has occurred to your child as childhood injuries sometimes involve more intensity and potential complications than adult injuries.


  • What do I do if I slip and fall in my hotel lobby?

    If you are injured and unsure about getting up, call for help. Never risk further injury by underestimating the extent to which you are hurt. Allow someone else to phone for medical response and ask someone to alert the hotel management. If management becomes involved, do not sign or agree to anything until you’ve spoken with an attorney. Ask a friend, family member, or witness to take pictures of the location and circumstances.

  • What if I don’t know about the problem until I get home?

    In the event that an injury is not discovered until you arrive home, or that you are on your way out of state when an injury occurs (such as a slip-and-fall at the airport, for example) seek medical attention as soon as possible. Being out of state will not affect the process of filing a personal injury claim. In today’s digital age it is usually possible to communicate efficiently about these cases over long-distances.