If my claim is denied by my employer's insurance company, do I appeal to the company or to the Department of Labor?

You'll want to file an appeal with the insurance carrier first. If you can provide them with specific examples of why their decision was unfair, they'll probably change their decision. An experienced attorney can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf.