What if I don't agree with the date they say my disability started?

You can appeal. If you feel that you are entitled to benefits starting from an earlier time than the SSA determined, contact an attorney to begin the appeals process. Some claimants are awarded more benefits because they can provide more or better documentation for their conditions.