If the negligence of an 18-wheeler or semi-truck driver has resulted in severe injury or the wrongful death of a family member than a personal representative can bring a lawsuit to cover damages. A personal representative is typically a family member. If the injury results in a severe injury, guardianship may have to be established for a lawsuit to be concluded by the personal representative. In many cases, the passenger in one of the vehicles involved in the wreck can sue as well. An experienced truck accident lawyer can advise you on the best course of action.