Cerebral Palsy (CP) is a group of chronic conditions that affect muscle coordination and body movements. It can require expensive medical care throughout the life of the child, and can be very challenging for the entire family. It occurs when there is damage to one or more areas of the brain that controls muscle movement before, during, or shortly after birth. These birth injuries affect many families, and they shouldn't have to struggle alone. Contact the Coye Law Firm to consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can help you recover benefits for medical care and pain and suffering related to Cerebral Palsy caused by negligence.
Causes of Cerebral Palsy
Cerebral Palsy can be caused by many factors, including the following:
Some symptoms of Cerebral Palsy can include the following:
- Lack of oxygen to the child’s brain at birth
- Bleeding into the brain
- Exposure to toxins as an infant
- Premature birth
- Certain infections
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Excessive drooling or difficulty swallowing, speaking, or sucking
- Delayed milestones, such as rolling over, crawling, walking, or sitting without support
- Variations in muscle tone (from too stiff to too relaxed)
Preventable medical mistakes at birth are responsible for many cases of Cerebral Palsy each year. Some examples of these medical mistakes include:
- Leaving the child in the birth canal too long, causing a lack of oxygen
- Failure to treat or recognize seizures after birth
- Failure to diagnose and treat jaundice or meningitis
- Failure to perform a C-Section appropriately
- Improper use of forceps
- Failure to respond appropriately to changes in the mother’s condition during labor and pregnancy
If your child’s Cerebral Palsy was caused by a medical mistake or negligence, you may have a medical malpractice claim. It is important that you contact a Cerebral Palsy attorney to determine if you have a case. After you meet with a Cerebral Palsy lawyer at the Coye Law Firm, we can develop a plan to get you the most benefits you are entitled to receive under the law.
If your child’s Cerebral Palsy was caused by a preventable medical mistake, call the Coye Law Firm today. Our compassionate, yet aggressive attorneys work hard for individuals and families affected by personal injuries.
Call 407.648.4940 or contact Coye Law Firm today for a free consultation about your case.
The expert injury attorneys at Coye Law Firm are experienced with Florida, New York, Michigan, and District of Columbia law and are here to help the injured.
If you'd like to learn more about injury law and your rights, read my book, Sharing the Secrets, Learning the Lies: A Guide to Florida Personal Injury
From this book you will learn…
- The ONE THING you must do within 14 days of your accident (page 46)
- The two most important factors in determining case value (page 8)
- How to understand what your insurance will and will not cover (chapter 3)
- 6 critical steps you must take after an accident (chapter 7)
- Why you should not trust the insurance company’s repair shop (page 78)
- How to choose the right doctor (chapter 5)
- A claim you could make against your own insurance company if your car is damaged, but not totaled (page 87)
- The secrets to getting a fair settlement (chapter 10)
- An 8-step breakdown of the normal process for lawsuits (page 121)
- The one 4-letter word that might cost you (chapter 12)
- How to start gathering the most important evidence you need (page 75)
- …and more!
Click here to receive your FREE copy now.