Lost Wages in a Car Accident Claim

There are many types of car accidents; some of them are nothing more than fender benders, but others can result in serious injuries that may require treatment and a long recovery period. But what if the injured victim can not work while they heal? What if they have a family to support? Lost wages are an important part of a personal injury claim. It is important to have appropriate documentation when claiming lost wage benefits.

Were you in an accident? Have you had to miss work because of your injuries? Call the Coye Law Firm. Our Florida car accident lawyers have successfully helped individuals and families claim benefits for lost wages over the past 20 years. Put our team to work on your case today.

"Your injury may prevent you from working and earning the income needed to pay for your life's necessities, like foodshelter, and clothing." 


Why Lost Wages are Important

Car accidents are frightening events, but they can also be very expensive. If insurance doesn't cover certain aspects of the car crash, then the driver may have to pay out of their own pocket. The cost of a car accident may include:
  • injuries
  • property damage
  • rental car
  • rehabilitative services
  • medical equipment
  • disability costs
  • funeral costs
As you can see, the costs can pile up quickly. Imagine now that you don't have a steady income to pay for these costs. Your injury may prevent you from working and earning the income needed to pay for your life's necessities, like food, shelter, and clothing. Losing wages after a car accident is very hard for many families because now they have to deal with two tragedies.

Florida Law on Lost Wages

In Florida, every vehicle owner is required to purchase $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) coverage as a part of their car insurance policy. Personal injury protection benefits may pay for the insured's injuries and medical treatment after an accident, no matter who was at fault. According to Florida statute §627.736(b) , an injured driver can claim 60 percent of the income they lose due directly to the injuries caused in the car accident. These are referred to as "disability benefits" in the statute because a person is "disabled" when an injury or illness keeps them from working.

Lost wages are a part of your personal injury protection policy, so it is very important to pay attention to when your claim is reaching it's limit. A person may only have $10,000 available to treat their injuries and pay for their lost wages, and once they reach that limit, the money is gone. Talk to a personal injury lawyer at the Coye Law Firm to learn more about saving part of PIP benefits for lost wages.


How to Claim Lost Wages

When dealing with insurance companies , documentation is everything. Your car insurance company needs documentation to see the connection between your injuries and inability to work. Additionally, you may be required to show them work-related documents that prove your salary or hourly income.

As you go through treatment, keep documents that relate to your claim, including:
  • doctor's statements
  • prescriptions
  • referrals
  • medical records
  • medical bills
  • correspondence from health providers
  • correspondence from insurance companies
Keep track of how much time you miss from work. Get documentation from your supervisor or human resources department stating exactly which days you were absent. You may also need to produce earnings reports or check stubs in order to prove the wages you earn regularly.

How Can an Attorney Help Me Get Lost Wages?

It can be difficult to get insurance benefits after a car accident. If you're hurt and out of work, it may slip your mind to also keep track of insurance policies. An accident lawyer at the Coye Law Firm may be able to help. Our team helps demand lost wage benefits in addition to those relating to medical care and rehabilitation after a car accident.

Lost wages are just a part of the many benefits available to personal injury victims. Contact our office today for a free consultation. Call 800-648-4941 to speak with a professional member of our staff who can evaluate your claim.